7.12.2005

my sister, part deux

today is my sister's birthday. it is my first real memory.

sometimes you think you remember things just because you saw them in pictures or because someone told you so many times you adopt the memory as your own. this one all mine.

i was at my grandparents' house that day; my mom and dad at the hospital, busy, laboring. i was at my grandparents' house on 618 saratoga drive. those are the numbers in my birthday. but this day was 7/12 and we got a phone call in the morning. i was allowed to answer it.

"it's a rhiannon..."

i believe my dad came to pick me up and we went to my aunt's apartment. we picked flowers, pansies or violets. for mom. we went to the hospital. we rode in an elevator. i couldn't wait. my mom came around the corner and met us. she was wearing her blue robe. with flowers that matched mine. we visited rhiannon, looked at her through the glass. she cried a lot.

"that one. that's her."

later we came home and we all got into our pajamas. it was the middle of the day. and we loved her.

i remember that.

No comments: